baslinux - Re: [BL] help on understanding script

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] help on understanding script
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:34:19 -0500 (CDT)

After considering Steven's input on the script, I decided to just make
everything following !*/bin/sh into a file called "timehosts" or
"setdate," respectively. I then changed the permissions accordingly and
made the files executable. They worked great! Only problem was, the time
scripts were setting my system and hardware clocks to GMT (5 hours later
than my time zone). I wasn't quite sure how to fix this, but a bit of
research convinced me I should have a /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central file
on my system, and that a corresponding file - /etc/localtime - should
be symlinked to it. I had neither. Not surprisingly for me, my BL2
system lacked a zoneinfo dir altogether, not to mention the dirs and files
under it. Undaunted, I created the dirs de novo. That left the problem of
the "Central" file. Utilizing methods acquired during a lengthy career in
tech cannibalism, I decided to rob the file from my newer and fuller Debian
machine and made the necessary symlink to it in /etc. It worked: the
"timehosts" and "setdate" scripts began setting my system's time to local
time instead of GMT.

The ethical Linux observer will note that I cheated, and I shamefacedly
won't dispute the point. I know I should probably have learned how to
program in Perl or perhaps built my own atomic clock out of spare
computer parts before undertaking this task . . . but I didn't. As a
means of atonement though, I would like to ask the ethical Linux user:
"how would you have handled this?" - hoping to someday be capable of
emulating at least his lofty moral character, if not his technical
prowess. Any on list who would care to answer for him/her are asked
please to do so.

James