baslinux - Re: [BL] X

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:19:54 +0000

> I am setting up 3 P100s. I got for 100 euros the
> lot without monitors. So far 2 are running with X.
> Here's my problem: I've done exactly the same
> installation on both. I even copied the XF86Config
> from one to the other once it was working. startx
> gets a display going, but one has a panel with a
> start button and pop-up menu, four virtual desktops,
> something that looks like a cpu monitor and a calendar;

That one appears to be working 100%

> the other has the panel with the cpu monitor and
> nothing else. Any ideas?

That's strange. I seem to remember that keesan had
something similar.

You said that you copied the XF86Config from one to
the other. Which XF86Config are you using? Do both
computers have identical video cards? Do both have
identical monitors? The bl2-x.tgz package installs a
pre-configured XF86Config -- did that not work?

It seems to me that there are two places this problem
could be coming from: (1) XF86Config -or- (2) the
icewm configuration files. Check that the problem
system has all the same icewm configuration files
as the other system. You should find them in:
/usr/local/lib/X11/icewm

> Also, how do I boot direct to the gui? I've tried
> editing /etc/inittab, but it didn't make any difference.
> I made it id:5: initdefault:

I think Slackware might use id:4:initdefault to run xdm.
But I don't use that method. I simply execute xdm at the
end of /etc/rc.d/rc.M.

  • [BL] X, Andrew Langdon-Davies, 05/12/2003