baslinux - [BL] X

  • From: Andrew Langdon-Davies <ald2 AT arrakis.es>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:20:37 +0200

Thanks to everybody for your advice on the 1.8 -> 2.x thread. Eventually I used 1.8 to get the cdrom working and installed 2.0.3 from there. I am setting up 3 P100s I got for 100 euros the lot without monitors. So far 2 are running with X. Here's my problem: I've done exactly the same installation on both. I even copied the XF86Config from one to the other once it was working. startx gets a display going, but one has a panel with a start button and pop-up menu, four virtual desktops, something that looks like a cpu monitor and a calendar; the other has the panel with the cpu monitor and nothing else. Any ideas?
Also, how do I boot direct to the gui? I've tried editing /etc/inittab, but it didn't make any difference. I made it id:5: initdefault:. What else should I do?
Apart from that, congratulations BasicLinux.
Andrew