baslinux - Re: [BL] memtest

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] memtest
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:24:59 +0200

> I would like to use Memtest-86 on my P100.
> I have the memtest on a cd but I do not have an idea where
> and how to place and initiate that test. Any ideas?

It depends what you downloaded.

1. If you downloaded ISO image, you have to burn CD
from this ISO image. What's more your P100 must have
an ability to boot from CD (look at settings in BIOS)

2. If you downloaded memt30.zip (just a precompiled binary),
just follow info in README.TXT:

3) Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and
must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on
"install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt
you
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the
floppy
from windows. This is normal.

I don't know if it works under WinXP, but for sure in Win9x
- for 2k/NT/XP you may have to change supplied rawrite to
a version working on your windows.

Don't have windows but only Linux? :)
- Unzip memt30.zip to a temporary directory (i.e. /tmp)
- put blank diskette in floppy drive
- cd /tmp
- dd if=/memtest.bin of=/dev/fd0

and restart :)

Chris

"Oszukac przeznaczenie 2" Zobacz koniecznie! W kinach od 9 maja!
< http://film.wp.pl/p/film.html?id=2141&h=3106253 >