baslinux - Re: [BL] X and keyboard mapping

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X and keyboard mapping
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:53:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Ctrl-h works as a backspace (back up and delete) in xterm
> > and in Links 2.1.9 run in text mode in xterm. It does
> > nothing at all in flwriter or in Links 2.1.9 run in graphical
> > mode.
>
> Unfortunately, the settings in .Xdefaults do not affect all
> X applications (some of which have separate defaults buried
> somewhere, deep down in a subdirectory). Even with a standard
> keyboard there is no magic bullet that fixes all X keybinding
> in a single shot. Your problem is made more difficult by the
> fact that many (most?) X applications make no allowance for
> weirdo keyboards.

I am using a completely standard 101-key keyboard. The backspace did not
work on that keyboard or on the 84-key keyboard. The settings in
.Xdefaults do not appear to be working in anything, including xterm and
programs run from xterm (tho at least Ctrl-h works in xterm). Even typing
stty erase ^? while in xterm accomplishes nothing.

If I rename .Xdefaults then the Backspace works as a backspace but so does
the DEL work as a backspace.

Deleting the line with erase ^? on it in .Xdefaults causes both keys to
act like backspace keys. Putting it back makes them both into delete
keys. Is there something else I could try doing to the file?

Perhaps I can get my regular DEL key remapped to work as a delete key and
let the second one be backspace. Is there some simple way to do this?

Thanks for any ideas. I could try not to type any mistakes, I suppose.

I never knew how much I depended on the backspace key until it was gone
(sort of like losing the use of one arm for a while).