baslinux - Re: [BL] Dial-up and logon scripts

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dial-up and logon scripts
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:10:01 +0000

David Moberg wrote:

> My ISP requires that I use dial-up scripts to log on.
> For example, it has to wait for "Login:" then send my
> username, wait for "Password:" and send my password,
> wait for "Username:" and send my username, etc. How
> can I do this with the pppsetup/ppp-on tools that come
> with BL,

BL2 is pre-configured to use PAP/CHAP authenication
(not a login script). This is the line that does it:
---------
0 chat no
---------
If you remove that line completely, eznet will use a chat
routine that waits for prompts (using a built-in list of
common prompts used by various ISPs) and sends your name
and password in response. That will work with most login
scripts. I suggest you try that first. Just put in your
username and password and see if eznet can work out the
correct prompt/response sequence.

On the other hand, some ISPs have unusual login scripts
(perhaps with extra prompts) that are not recognized
by eznet. If you ISP is one of those, you will need
to specify the prompt/response pairs manually:
-----------------------------------
0 expect1 [firtst prompt from ISP]
0 reply1 [your reply]
0 expect2 [second prompt from ISP]
0 reply2 [your reply]
...etc...

> Also, since I'm the only one using my computer, how do
> I automatically logon?

How do you mean automatically? Do you want it to dial as
soon as the system boots? Or when a particular username
logs in? Or when you activate an email client? Or what?
And after that, how long do you want the connection to
continue? Permanently?