b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Goodbye [B-Hebrew Forum is Open!]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Kirk AT GrovesCenter.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Goodbye [B-Hebrew Forum is Open!]
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:11:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Petr,

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:28:28 +0200, Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 10:07:12AM -0400, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>> The new B-Hebrew Forum is now open!
>>
>> As previously announced, this email discussion list is moving to a
>> web-based forum. We will NOT be automatically creating accounts for
>> current members. If you wish to continue to participate in this
>> community, you MUST register and create a new account.
>>

> Dear b-hebrew moderators and members!
>
> I consider this very unfortunate. The web forum (and especially phpPP)
> is in my eyes very user unfriendly to the reader and provides much inferior
> user experience compared to what a decent MUA can provide (no threads view,
> no possibility to display subjects only, forced pagination which makes it
> very hard to search for something, and - what is the worst - the need to
> dive
> into every topic to see if there is something new and the impossibility to
> see just the lates posts from the entire forum).
>
> Moreover, with a mailing list, every list member has an access to all emails
> sent (so that no stupid censorship can occur). Everyone can have his private
> archive so that if someone decides to shut down the forum, one still have
> an access to what have been written so far.
>
> Therefore I will not register within the new forum, It would just cost me
> too more energy and time.

You're not alone - I feel the same way.

Since I, too, don't expect to register for the new web forum, I'll
take this opportunity to wish the members on this list the best. It's
been fun for me (and educational), but I don't really like the web
forum format.

--
William Parsons
μὴ φαίνεσθαι, ἀλλ' εἶναι.