b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses in Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:41:41 +0200

Dear Michael,

There is absolutely no evidence i favor of a Canaanite influence on Hebrew
verbs. But because the Canaanite languages and Hebrew are cognate languages,
it is not surprising that there are similarities. The supposed difference
between an old supposed YAQTUL form versus a YAQTUTU form is unclear. For
example, in Ugaritic there are no vowels, but ALEPH is written in three ways,
as )A, )I, and )U. Graphic evidence of the vowel U requires a final ALEPH,
which is rare.

The KIRTA (KERET) account in Ugaritic first tells of detailed events that
will happen in the future, then there is a description of exactly the same
events with past reference—the events had happened. Interestingly, the same
verbs and verb forms are used in both accounts, first with future reference
and then with past reference. We find similar situations in other Ugaritic
accounts. Thus, if there is a similarity between Ugaritic and Hebrew, it must
be that the prefix form (in Hebrew as YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL, and WEYIQTOL) can be
used both with past and future reference.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 26. September 2013 04:27 CEST skrev Michael Abernathy