b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:33:08 -0400

1. There is no WAYYIQTOL with a double Y to be found in the entire HB. I think one should refrain from subverting the Hebrew text by writing a double letter where the biblical text has only one, the bizarre theory on the "doubling" of a consonant by the "dagesh forte", notwithstanding.

2. It seems to me that the verb form WAYIQTOL consists of three parts WA-YI-QTOL in which WA is a variant of the act BA, 'come, be', in which YI is the contracted form of the personal pronoun היא 'he', and where the third part is the act itself.

For instance, Deut. 31:7

ויקרא משה ליהושע ויאמר אליו לעיני כל ישראל חזק ואמץ כי אתה תבוא את העם הזה אל הארץ אשר נשבע יהוה לאבתם לתת להם ואתה תנחילנה אותם

KJV
"And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the Lord hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it"

where the first word of the verse is WAYIQRA, 'came-he-call'.

3. The equivalence of the personal pronouns הוא היא HU, HIY is evident
in the (highlighted) word תבוא TABO = TA-BA-O, which in my opinion
means תביא TABI =TA-BA-I, 'you will bring', not as translated by KJ,
following the Aramaic translation of Onkelos, rendering את ET as עם IM.

saac Fried, Boston University