b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, michaelgburk AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:56:24 +0100

Hi Pere
I do believe that this is because it is followed by a yod, and the yod is never pronounced with a lengthened 'a' sound. The yod will always be either an 'i' or an 'ay' that is either with a tsere or a hireq, remeber that a yod is actually a vowel in its own right with a distinctive sound as just mentioned. The others that you quote are followed by consonants and therefore the aleph can have the 'ahh' sound, since the aleph is not follwed by the yod.

Others on this list may give you a more professional explanation and this would be always beneficial, but unfortunately I do not come from a grammatical upbringing, just a reader and so I may not have given a full explanation.

Chris Watts
Ireland