b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:05:38 -0600

Hi Pere,

I'm not quite sure what your question is.  If you're asking why we have this anomalous situation, the answer is that this is the regular vocalization for 1-yod verbs in the hiphil imperfect.  But if you're asking why this happens in the hiphil, i.e., what are the series of steps that account for why this is the vocalization in the hiphil, then perhaps someone else can provide that information.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary