b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

   John,
   Yes, this root was discussed recently, and
I remember you suggested that the last consonant,
 by doubling, could or would change into another.

  Sorry, I am not convinced. Incidentally, the root
Het Waw He is nicely attested in the HB.

  The last consonant in L"H/L"Y Hebrew roots
serves only as a vowel ,though exception will
occur such as in the Qal passive participle.
There is a reason why the final Ya in such verbs
in  Arabic is known as Ya Maqs(.)urah.

  Best,

  Uri Hurwitz

Gabalun bigabalin la yaltakeh, wabnu adam bibni adam
yaltakeh

(A saying: mountain does not meet a mountain,  a human
meets another human. I could never fathom this,
but it sounds good)

.... שחה in our recent discussion is a good case in point, where we can see
where the one root transforms into - or is read as - another and a new root
comes ino existence. ...

John Leake

'inna SâHiba Hayâtin hanî'atin lâ yudawwinuhâ: 'innamâ, yaHyâhâ.
(He who lives a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it.)
Tawfiq al-Hakim, Yawmiyyât Nâ'ib fil-'Aryâf.