b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:38:53 -0400

On 6/18/2013 1:58 AM, Rolf wrote:

It is most important to admit that because we do not have the NT
autographs, both those who believe that these autographs contained
KURIOS and those who believe that they contained YHWH, argue from
silence. Both groups must build on circumstantial evidence, and the
interested persons should consider this circumstantial evidence in
order to draw their conclusions.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, but this is too much. This is completely false -- it is not an argument from silence. There is positive evidence that the autographs contained KURIOS in that all surviving manuscripts have either KURIOS or KS. It is the burden of proof on the part of one claiming otherwise to explain this, and so far no reasonable explanation has been forthcoming. It amounts to "I want it to be this way, so therefore it had to be that way." That the nomen sacrum could somehow derive from the Hebrew defies logic -- surely the Occam's razor explanation is that it derives from the Greek KURIOS, and introducing an argument to explain how it had to derive from YHWH is surely simply special pleading.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat