b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:51:54 -0700

"I don’t know Longacre, nor Rocine’s model, but Buth demonstrated on this forum that he doesn’t know Biblical Hebrew very well, because he doesn’t know Hebrew Bible. He made grammatical and syntactical errors."

You said in so many words "that he doesn't know Biblical Hebrew very well." I don't know how you can now claim you said no such thing, because it's right there.

I disagree with Buth a LOT. But he does know his field. How many times he's sat down and read it from cover to cover, and how long ago that was, these things are irrelevant. That's not the only way to know the language, and really, it may not even be the best way.