b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:00:24 +0000

Karl Randolph said:

"I don’t know Longacre, nor Rocine’s model, but Buth demonstrated on this forum that he doesn’t know Biblical Hebrew very well, because he doesn’t know Hebrew Bible. He made grammatical and syntactical errors."

I take exception to this, Karl. This is somewhat slanderous. While you are entitled to your own opinion, this kind of thing is best kept unsaid in a public forum. I realise you place little importance on scholarly recognition or consensus, as you have said many times, but Randall Buth is a recognised scholar and contributor on the level of international scholarship and pedagogy. Disagree with him, sure. But to say he doesn't know Biblical Hebrew is bordering on malicious. Those of us who know Randall will bear out just how untrue such a statement is. A little contrition is probably in order, I think.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia