b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Penner <kpenner AT stfx.ca>
  • To: Ruth Mathys <ruth_mathys AT sil.org>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:02:39 -0300

I hesitate to jump into this mess, but the comment from Ruth ("You would do
better to listen to Rolf") prompted me to make a couple of notes.

I don't have a linguistics degree, but I've read enough linguistic literature
for my PhD thesis (on Hebrew tense, aspect, and modality) to know that much
of the discussion on this list would appear quite silly to a linguist. Rolf's
view is highly idiosyncratic and does not interact with recent standard
linguistic literature. The expressions "make visible" "angle" "field of view"
are not standard and are far from clear in their meaning. Linguists are not
constantly debating what aspect is; they do not claim that aspect is
different in Hebrew. Linguists generally do not insist on a strict
separation of semantics from pragmatic implicature.
I'm sure more linguistically trained scholars are on this list, keeping their
distance. I thought I saw Randall Buth make an appearance. I'm sure others
have read Bybee, Perkins, Pagliuca, Bhat, Dahl, as well as Andrason, Cook.

Bottom line: the discussion here is not representative of linguistic studies!

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Religious Studies
2329 Notre Dame Avenue, 409 Nicholson Tower
St. Francis Xavier University
Antigonish, NS B2G 2W5
Canada
(902)867-2265