b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:37:30 -0500

Isaac Fried wrote: 2. Do you know the genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic? If not, then it is a mystery. I will give you an example. We find in the Hebrew bible the curious name GOZAL (Deut. 32:11), 'nestling, young bird'. It is curious since the act GAZAL (as in Ezekiel 18:18) is 'rob'. The (otherwise excellent) standard Hebrew dictionary of Eben Shoshan brings to this word the "etymology" of Arab JOWZAL. To this, I say: so what.

Ishinan:  The above examples are pertinent and excellent proofs to support the genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic!

 Arabic GwzAl = young pigeon

الجَوْزَل: فَرْخُ الحَمَام،

In Hebrew

1469

gowzal
go-zawl'

or (shortened) gozal {go-zawl'}; from 'gazal' young (pigeon).

 Arabic Gazal: to cut, to tear

وجَزَل يَجْزِل إِذا قَطَع.
 جَزْلة أَي قِطْعَة
وفي حديث الدجال: يَضْرِبُ رجلاً بالسيف فيقطعه جِزْلتين؛ الجِزْلة، بالكسر: القِطْعة،

In Hebrew

1497

gazal
gaw-zal'

a primitive root; to pluck off; specifically to flay,  tear.

BTW I am still waiting for answers to the following allegations

The genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic is a mystery

The search for a common ancestral language is futile

" Dismissing Akkadian and Ugaritic as merely "tentative languages

Your definitions for a "bastard language" and "tentative languages

Ishinan Ishibashi