b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 21:53:46 -0700

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
1. Every allegation is "made up".

2. Do you know the genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic? If not, then it is a mystery. I will give you an example. We find in the Hebrew bible the curious name GOZAL (Deut. 32:11), 'nestling, young bird'. It is curious since the act GAZAL (as in Ezekiel 18:18) is 'rob'. The (otherwise excellent) standard Hebrew dictionary of Eben Shoshan brings to this word the "etymology" of Arab JOWZAL. To this, I say: so what.

Honestly, I am unable to make sense of that last part.

3. Can you "read" the so called "Akkadian"? If not, then leave it out. Have you actually read any "Ugaritic text"? if not, then leave it out.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I have read both. My Akkadian is pretty rusty, but I can still read the Ugaritic tablets. So can a lot of other people. I don't follow what your point is.

--
Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!