b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OF "BASTARD" AND "TENTATIVE" LANGUAGES
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:46:01 -0400

1. Every allegation is "made up".

2. Do you know the genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic? If not, then it is a mystery. I will give you an example. We find in the Hebrew bible the curious name GOZAL (Deut. 32:11), 'nestling, young bird'. It is curious since the act GAZAL (as in Ezekiel 18:18) is 'rob'. The (otherwise excellent) standard Hebrew dictionary of Eben Shoshan brings to this word the "etymology" of Arab JOWZAL. To this, I say: so what.

3. Can you "read" the so called "Akkadian"? If not, then leave it out. Have you actually read any "Ugaritic text"? if not, then leave it out.

Isaac Fried, Boston University