b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:44:15 +0000

Thanks, Karl.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,

On 20/04/2013, at 12:42 AM, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:

George:

Are the Egyptologists too insular?

The archeological evidence for the Exodus is found in pre-Hyksos Egypt.

The archeological evidence for Thutmoses indicates that he was also named Shishaq, early iron age.

The archeological evidence from the Levant concerning the cities mentioned in the Amarna letters points to iron age Divided Kingdom and the countries around them.

And I already mentioned the historical reference in Jeremiah.

Egyptologists seem to have built a house of cards that works as long as they don’t try to connect it to the outside world.

Which is more trustworthy—archeological evidence, or a modern revision of an ancient history by Manetho?

All the references above have Biblical, hence Hebrew language understanding, connections. If it weren’t for those, I couldn’t care less about Egyptian history.

Karl W. Randolph.