b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:56:46 +0000

Oh Oh, au contraire, Karl! The Sea Peoples made incursions into Egypt during the late 13th and early 12th centuries BC. Even allowing for the differences between high and low chronologies, this is pretty watertight. Only scholars who engage in wholesale reconfiguration of chronology based on speculation—and we are really only talking about a handful of "scholars" here—would date it otherwise. This has nothing to do with belief in the Bible or not. It's a good ol' plain archaeological datum.

But we are departing from the concerns of B-Hebrew. So let's not reinvent new history. Let's stick to the language and literature of Hebrew.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia