b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 04:51:51 +0000

Mike,

I've looked in Clines' Dictionary of Classical Hebrew, and it lists the following:

4. grain for producing bread, Is 28.28 30.23, representative of food in general (distinction from §2a unclear), Gn 41.54.55 47.12.13.15.17.17.19.

In each of these cases, my previous comments hold, which is that לחם is seen as the stereotypical produce for food. So while there is a connection with grain, the connection is there only insofar as bread is connected with grain. The word doesn't appear to mean 'grain' specifically. DCH also includes non-biblical texts, like the Dead Sea Scrolls and inscriptions, so there is nothing outside these references within Hebrew.

(PS: Why don't you automate your 'signature' in your email software so that your name appears with every email?)

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia