b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 06:46:04 +0000

Karl,

You made a claim on another thread that Biblical Hebrew was linguistically isolated. Could you explain what you mean by this? I find this a very puzzling statement. Who were the speakers/writers? Where were they? When were they? What dialectal differences are we talking about? What do we do with the different types of Hebrew in evidence (both in the Bible and in epigraphic finds)? What was the nature of the isolation? How did this isolation come about? How was this isolation ended? What are we to do with Hebrew's close cognates?

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia