b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Shortening Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Shortening Question
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:28:58 -0800

Jonathan:

I agree and have repeatedly insisted that the Masoretes were preserving a tradition when they invented their vowel points. But was it a tradition based on Biblical Hebrew pronunciation? Was it based on native speakers?

The evidence I see indicates that the vowel points were invented a millennium after the last native speaker died. During that millennium the grammar of Biblical Hebrew was exchanged for that of Mishnaic Hebrew, even the concepts of what the binyanim represented were changed. How much was the pronunciation changed during that millennium to reflect the pronunciation of Aramaic native speakers? How much was changed to reflect the changed grammar? How many words had their pronunciations changed to reflect a tradition started by some rabbi, a tradition that doesn’t reflect the original Biblical pronunciation? Then all of these changes were incorporated into the Masoretic text through their points.

One important thing to keep in mind, the Masoretes were trying to preserve a tradition, which is the reason for their inconsistency in pointings, inconsistencies that sometimes indicate incorrect readings. They were not trying to make their points fit any theoretical framework.

Karl W. Randolph.