b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] KPR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.orglist list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] KPR
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:01:10 +0000

Philip,

No, I don't think there is any intensification in the use of כפר in Deut 32.43. The use of the Piel stem is because the Piel is the native stem for this three-letter root. While Piel may have an intensive meaning for some verbs that are 'native' to the Qal stem, the root כפר is native to the Piel. There is no intensification that I can see in the verse, or in the grammar behind the word.

The LXX renders this verb εκκαθαριζω (clean out, purge). This is not the usual Greek word used to translate the verb כפר in the LXX, but this is probably because the translators did not see a specific cultic (ie. temple sacrifice) significance in this particular verse. If they had, they probably would have opted for εξιλασκομαι (expiate, atone).

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia