b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 19:11:55 -0500

I think that the term "tense" is foreign to Hebrew, and is inherently misleading. Hebrew does not have time indicators; there is no such thing in Hebrew as ANIY <–AKAL, with a back-pointing arrow to indicate past action, as opposed to ANIY AKAL–>, with a forward-pointing arrow to indicate future action. As I see it, the Hebrew verb is but a root supplanted by personal pronouns for the actors involved in the act.

By a certain agreement, and by a certain agreement only, an aft personal pronoun is used to indicate past action, as in say $ALAXTA = $ALAX-TA, 'you have sent', while a fore personal pronoun is used to indicate future action, as in TI$LAX = TI-$LAX, 'you will send'.

An English equivalent system would have been: banana eat-I for past action, and banana I-eat for future action.

Isaac Fried, Boston University