b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] head and see

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] head and see
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:10:40 -0500

Here is an example, in Hebrew רע RA is 'bad, evil, frail, flimsy, loose, shaky';
as the Hebrew nursery rhyme says:

אוי רע לי, רע לי, רע לי, כזאת עוד לא קרה לי
"Oi, I feel so bad, I feel so bad, I feel so bad, a thing like this never
happened to me ..."

But רע REA is 'friend', (see Ps. 88:19). So, is REA a דבר רע a bad thing?
Certainly not, except that רעות REUT, 'friendship', is a loose and unfettered
association among free individuals. Such a relationship exists להבדיל among
cows freely roaming רועות בשדה while grazing in a field.

Similarly, RAYON רעיון (see Qohelet 4:16) is an idea that roams in the mind.

So, there is no "horizontal" relationship RA <–––> REA between 'evil' and 'friend',
yet they are both "vertical" offshoots, or outgrowths (so to speak) of the same
uni-consonantal Hebrew root R, endowing both words with the same fundamental
meaning of 'loose'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University