b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "steve AT voiceInWilderness.info" <steve AT voiceInWilderness.info>, 'Peter Streitenberger' <ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,3
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:09:02 +0000

To say waw before a noun in initial position in a clause indicates a new paragraph is perhaps a little strong. You could be starting a lot of new paragraphs that way. I think the thought behind your suggestion, Steve, is correct, in that there is certainly a sense of disjunction. But I wouldn't always go for a new paragraph (what does that even mean for poetry?). The other thing to consider is that although the syntax is disjunctive, the waw still helps to connect the disjunction to what comes before it and thus continues the flow. In other words, the syntax is disjunctive, but the flow continues. Without a waw, we would have asyndeton, which produces a much more staccato-like effect.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Moore Theological College (moore.edu.au)
(Currently in Chicago)