b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] third person

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] third person
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 12:05:24 -0300

isaac,

an excellent example. please consult the english translation (MM):  I am HE THAT blotteth out...
כה  אָנֹכִי אָנֹכִי הוּא מֹחֶה פְשָׁעֶיךָ, לְמַעֲנִי:  וְחַטֹּאתֶיךָ, לֹא אֶזְכֹּר. 25 I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for Mine own sake; and thy sins I will not remember.

the essential grammatical structure of this phrase is: "i am he who..."

I=subject
am=(aux.) verb (which in hebrew is absent but implicit)
he=object
who...=connective pronoun followed by a clause (which defines the object).

cognitively, an identification is made here between two a priori distinct entities: "I" and "He who boltteth out thy transgressions". a priori, they are distinct, but after the identification, they become one and the same. as you
see, this works out equally well in english and indeed most languages:

I AM (verb in first person) he who BLOTTETH OUT (verb in third person).

chomsky would say that this construction is universal.

nir cohen

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:56:20 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote