b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] third person as copulative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] third person as copulative
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:36:28 -0500

You are right, the KJV translation of Isaiah 37:15(16)  reads: "thou art the God", with 'art' in place of HU.

Compare with Ex.3:13-15: And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
with 'I am' = אני הוא ANIY HU.

Isaac Fried, Boston University