b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 17:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 17:9
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 16:32:49 -0400

Hi Michael,

Your Hebrew didn't come out properly for me, not sure why... Anyway, a few points:

1. Are you sure you haven't confused עקב in Jer 17:9 with עמק in Psa 64:7[6]? It's true that the latter means "deep" in the sense of "mysterious, impenetrable", but עקב in Jer 17:9, according to my lexica, means "uneven bumpy terrain" and, metaphorically, "deceitful, sly" - perhaps related to the verb עקב as well, and the name "Jacob" with its allusion to heel-grasping?? But it's certainly not עמק.

2. Jer 17:10 is not in fact about the difficulty of understanding the human heart (though v.9 implies that it is difficult for a mere human to understand the heart). In fact, the question at the end of v. 9 - "Who can understand it?" - is answered by the first words of v.10, which is actually an extended noun phrase identifying who: אני יהוה, "I, Yhwh, searching the heart, testing the mind...".

The combination of God "searching" (חקר) and "testing" (בחן, as of testing and smelting metal) the human heart isn't to express difficulty, it's to express his role as judge, even of the inner thoughts of a person (for this use of חקר, compare Psa 139:23-24 and Job 13:9, or Prov 18:17 for a human law-court scenario). Job 13:9 also makes it clear that such understanding is not beyond the "searching" of God - nothing escapes his scrutiny.

The final clause of Jer 17:10 confirms this judicial sense: "...to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds".

3. Returning to v.9, the second descriptor for the heart - אנשׁ (or אנושׁ) - connotes not just sickness, but, in contexts referring to some metaphorical "wound", being incurable (Job 34:6; Isa. 17:11; Jer 15:18; 30:12, 15; Micah 1:9). If we add that to the first descriptor, it seems to me we have a description of the heart as deceitful, and incurably so.

Best regards,
Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales,
Santiago, Chile