b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:33:13 +0300

Hi Doug,

I was not referring to the NT. Except for the incident in Luke 4 and a few
others, the Gospels don't really give us any information on what was
happening in the synagogue, and other NT references are situated in the
western Diaspora, where we know that Greek was the main language used. Most
of our information about the synagogue in the Land of Israel comes from
rabbinic writings (the Mishnah, the Talmud and so on), written in Hebrew and
in Aramaic, but the earliest of these (the Mishnah) was written around 200
CE, over a century after the destruction of the Second Temple. As such, it's
not at all clear to what extent we can use these rabbinic writings as
evidence for 1st century synagogues, especially considering the huge changes
that we know that Judaism was going through in that very period.

By the way, a few scrolls were found in (or actually under) the synagogue at
Masada, and they were in Hebrew. Also, all of the liturgical material at
Qumran is in Hebrew and Aramaic, not Greek. But we really can't tell how
representative that might be of Jewish practice in general.

Yigal