b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:19:43 -0600

Hi George,

Your note here raises an additional question for me. I had asked earlier
about whether synagogues in Judea (let's add Galilee to the mix) would have
had a complete collection of the biblical scrolls. Dewayne was more
positive and Yigal less so. But then my additional question would be
whether or not the synagogues would have had any Greek scrolls. I, myself,
don't fnd it at all probable that, if they did indeed have any Greek
scrolls, they would have been used in their worship services. So, for my
part, I am convinced that the the scroll of Isaiah in Luke 4 was a Hebrew
scroll. But is it either possible or likely that they would have had some
Greek scrolls for study purposes?

Blessings,

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary