b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First Century CE Scrolls
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:50:55 -0500

Karl, you're surely right that Jesus' default texts of the OT would
have been in Hebrew, though he might have also learned some Targumic
renderings by heart in Aramaic, as well. I wasn't claiming he did read
the LXX, only that he probably could have if he chose, since Galilee
was a bilingual area and it was apparently common for Jewish folks
there to learn Greek as well as Aramaic when growing up. I certainly
don't think he would have gone with the LXX instead of the Hebrew.
That would have been uncommon for a Jew born in Israel, to say the
least. Not impossible, but improbable.