b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 1)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 03:56:14 +0000

So the situation is this:

Jerry has shown that in pretty much all the occurrences of רקע, the forms of
this root seem to indicate something tangible that can be beaten or hammered
out. The question is: Does Gen 1 provide an exception?

Methinks not. The text itself suggests something tangible across which birds
can fly. Rolf's insistence on me providing evidence is essentially asking me
to prove that על פני must mean 'across the surface'. Having pointed to the
usage of the phrase twice in the specific context under question, I don't
know what other evidence he wants. If one cannot accept the evidence from the
context, that is no longer my problem — we are dealing with different
methods: contextual evidence versus tangential considerations.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia