b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 10:13:02 -0700

George:

I see you approaching an argumentum ad absurdum in your defense of the
Documentary Hypothesis. I listed several verses where על פני cannot refer
to “upon the surface” nor “upon the face” in the sense of a physical face
or surface. Seeing as the phrase is used close to 200 times, many of which
do refer to a physical face (“he fell upon his face”) yet there are many
more verses than what I listed where the meaning of the phrase is “before”,
“in the presence of”, “among” and similar readings.

Therefore, your insistance that the use of על פני proves that רקיע must be
a reference to a solid dome, made of metal, doesn’t hold water.

Karl W. Randolph.