b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 05:52:25 -0500

Dear George,

I agree of course that RQY( and $MYM are two independent nouns. When two such
nouns are in a construct construction, they form a unity. In many, or
perhaps most cases, the second noun modifies the first i some way. Which
RQY(? The RQY( of the heavens. You yourself has given the literal translation
"over the surface of the firmament of the sky," which confirms this
modification.

In rare cases we find an appositional contruct, but there should be something
in the context that would justify this rare interpretation—that the the
second noun does not modify the first, but that both nouns are put on an
equal footing. If we have an appositional construct here, you still have
problems with your arguments of distinction between RQY( and $MYM. An
appositional construct would have the meaning: "the RQY(, that is, the
heavens." In other words, the heavens would be identical with the RQY(. You
wrote to Ishnian: "The birds fly through the sky, but the sky that is under
the רקיע, which stands as a dome-like roof above everything." These words are
contradicted by an appositional genitive, where the two words are identical
and not distinct. Where does the preposition "under" come from? What you need
is an ablativic genitive. But would you argue for the existence of such a
genitive in this case?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway.

Tirsdag 4. September 2012 12:06 CEST skrev George Athas