b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sky

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sky
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:44:28 -0200

karl,

i admit that "expand" and "hit repeatedly" are related ideas and it is easy
to see which "came first".
but the etymology used in most of these citations is more directly related to
"hit repeatedly".

in 2 sam 22:43 the idea is that of repeated beating/hammering/smiting and not
of expanding:

(NIV) They cried for help, but there was no one to save them—
    to the Lord, but he did not answer.
43 I beat them as fine as the dust of the earth;
    I pounded and trampled them like mud in the streets.They cried for help,
but there was no one to save them—
    to the Lord, but he did not answer.
43 I beat them as fine as the dust of the earth;
    I pounded and trampled them like mud in the streets.

in job 37:18 LEHARQY( is the verb associated with RAQI(, as e.g. in english
combinations such as sky-rocketing or
sky-scraper. thus, i see this is a secondary use of the word, i.e. once RAQY(
was fixed as "sky" then LEHARQY( means
to take off/fly/spacewalk/launch. again, i do not see that as indicating
expansion.

in particular, with all the difficulties associated with the word $XQ, the
expression in job TARQI( LA$XAQYM can hardly
be translated as "expand to the skies". the way i see it, it simply means
"travel with him to the sky so as to tell how he
does these things".

the remaining of the citations agrees with craftsmanship and hammering,
including "ROQE( H))RC in the first few citations you mentioned.

see also the related term RDD.

nir cohen

 On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:48:35 -0700, K Randolph wrote