b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sky

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sky
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:48:35 -0700

Nir:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
<nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>wrote:

> karl,
>
> > This is a mistranslation, otherwise known as medieval cosmology. רקיע
> RQY(
> is not a “solid vault-like structure” rather it’s from a root that referred
> also to expanding out unsolid things like mist and dust wafting in the
> wind.
>
> --------------
>
> what is the evidence for "expanding out unsolid things like
> mist and dust wafting in the wind"?

Even as I answer this question, I’m revising how best to state the meaning.
Basically, the idea of רקע RQ( seems to be to spread out. It is used of
spreading out the earth (Isaiah 42:5, 44:24, Psalm 136:6), spreading out
dust or mist (2 Samuel 22:43, Job 37:18) as well as spreading out metals,
like gold or silver leaf to cover idols (Isaiah 40:19, Jeremiah 10:9) or
thin pieces of bronze to protect the altar (Numbers 16:28–9). When a metal
smith spreads out metal, he uses a special hammer with a wide, flat face to
make the metal plates as smooth as possible, in English known as a chasing
hammer, which reminds people of stamping with their feet (Ezekiel 6:11,
25:6).

Hence רקיע RQY( refers to a place that is spread out, expanded, not
necessarily to hard, flat plates, that is assuming that its meaning is
related to its root.