b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:24:49 -0700

Jerry:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>wrote:

> Karl, I don't quite follow as to what your objections are; and Oun, I'm not
> quite sure what distinction you are attempting to make. I'll let Nir speak
> for himself, but I do not think his argument had anything to do with
> chapter and verse divisions. The toledot formulas in Genesis are always
> introductory formulas.

It is always at a change of divisions, so just from the position it could
be at either the beginning or the end of a division. To decide which, we
need to look at more than just where it is found.

> So Gen 2:4 is introductory to the account and
> narrative that follow.

Other things I look at are the literary style, the words used and the
recognition that there was a literary tradition that had the titular and
summary statements following rather than preceding a division. These three
support the argument that Genesis 2:4 is the closing of the first chapter
of Genesis.

The root ילד YLD refers to more than just to give birth, which is its most
common use in Tanakh. It also means “to bring forth, out: not only to bear,
give birth, but also to bring forth one’s history, present oneself to an
authority, to produce”. Therefore תולדות TWLDWT doesn’t necessarily refer
to generations, but can refer also to other productions, such as the
production of a history.

> This seems to hold true for the rest of the
> occurrences as well.

See above.