b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:48:06 -0500

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Nir:
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
> <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>wrote:
>
>> karl,
>> consider also:
>>
>> Genesis Chapter 10 בְּרֵאשִׁית
>> א וְאֵלֶּה תּוֹלְדֹת בְּנֵי-נֹחַ, שֵׁם חָם וָיָפֶת; וַיִּוָּלְדוּ לָהֶם
>> בָּנִים, אַחַר הַמַּבּוּל. 1 Now these are
>> the generations of the sons of Noah: Shem, Ham, and Japheth; and unto them
>> were sons born after the flood.
>>

> The present division of chapters and verses came millennia after these
> words were written. What is now put at the beginning of a section, may show
> incorrect positioning contrary to the desires of the original authors.
> Consider Genesis 6:9 and 37:2.
>

>> "these are the generations..." is a summary, "and unto them..." is already
>> part of the detailed narrative.
>>

> What makes you think that the following list was part of the original
> document, and not added by a later author?

<clipped>
<
>Karl W. Randolph.

If the text read as 'generations' (KJV and most others) in 10:1, it
seems to serve well as the titular verse to the section following it.
However if understood as 'account' (NET, NIV), or, 'history' (NWT),
this verse may be actually the summary verse of the large section
preceding it (i.e. from Gen 6:9 to Gen 9:29).

Since I'm ignorant of Hebrew, I would not know which way I should
take. Is it possible for me to get some help from Hebrew scholars? I
would appreciate very much.

Oun Kwon.