b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] beginning or end?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:26:38 -0500

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
<nir AT ccet.ufrn.br> wrote:
> karl,
>
> in case of gen 1:1 i must side with jerry, since at that point in
> the story the sky was still not separated from the land, hence
> still did not exist, making 1:1 NECESSARILY a summary of the entire
> chapter. consider also:
>
> Genesis Chapter 22 בְּרֵאשִׁית
> א וַיְהִי, אַחַר הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה, וְהָאֱלֹהִים, נִסָּה אֶת-אַבְרָהָם;
> וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו, אַבְרָהָם וַיֹּאמֶר
> הִנֵּנִי. 1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did
> prove Abraham,
> and said unto him: 'Abraham'; and he said: 'Here am I.'
>
> here, too, "god proved abraham" is a summary of the entire chapter, while
> "and
> said to him" is already the starting point of the more detailed narrative.
> consider also:

<clipped>
> nir cohen

Nir,

You must be taking the text as
'God had proved Abraham, and this was how He did'.

As for me, just reading it as any literary work (since I'm much
ignorant of Hebrew itself), I will take it as
'God was now going to have Abraham proved. Here the story went on ....'

Oun Kwon.