b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:29:55 -0600

Hi Karl,

Several problems here:

(1) Bringing in Mosaic authorship introduces a side issue that doesn't
bring any clarity to the translation issue.

(2) Ancient literary style also had titular and summary statements at the
beginning of the account as well; and this also true in many places of
Hebrew narrative.

(3) As I read the account, I believe it is more likely that Gen 2:4 goes
with what follows rather than with what precedes.

(4) For Ecc 1:5, you focused on a very narrow point with regard to the
"pant" translation. No, I agree with you that it does not mean "sniff";
but rather, as I said, "pant," as is the case with, e.g., Job 7:2; Pss
56:2; 57:3; 119:1; Isa 42:14; JER 14:6. Qohelet's point is that the sun
itself partakes of the vanity, the absurdity, the cyclical nature that the
rest of God's creation also partakes of.

(5) Again, it is not eisegesis. The sun does three things in the
passage: it rises, it sets, it hurries back to the place from which it
rose in the first place. What path do you think the sun takes in that
third movement? It is not eisegesis -- it is simply reflective of the
logic of the passage.

Blessings,

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary