b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jesse Griffin <jag3773 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:00:23 -0600

I cast my lot with Karl on this one. I think the biblical data is laconic
enough that it would fit into either a flat earth cosmology or a spherical
earth cosmology, depending on the viewpoint of the reader.

As to what the original authors had in mind when they used these terms,
that's difficult to conclude. But again, I agree with Karl, it is not
unreasonable to think that they had a spherical earth in mind.

Perhaps future linguistic or archaeological findings will prove helpful in
pinning down an Israelite cosmology.

Thanks,
Jesse