b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 22:30:23 -0600

I'll use up my last post on this subject to say that, though I appreciate
Rolf's expertise and contribution to this topic, I'll have to disagree with
him with respect to where his discussion relates to what we have been
discussing. I agree with Rolf as to his first point with regard to
"quality." There is indeed a world of difference between the other ANE
polytheistic accounts and the motivation of the gods versus Israel's
Elohim. Indeed, these differences contribute to the polemics of the
account. But with regard to the second point, I think the case is very
strong that Israel's cosmology was of a piece with its neighbors. Though
against Rolf, I do think there is a Tiamat/tehom connection, that
is only tangential to the fact that the ideas with regard to cosmological
structure are so similar: the material vault of heaven, the pillars
or foundations of the earth, the heliocentrism, the floodgates (portals) of
the heavens, etc. So I think the cosmological similarities still hold.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary