b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:15:10 -0700

I just found that one can download Waltke & O’Conner at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27643090/An-Intro-to-Biblical-Hebrew-Syntax-Waltke

I have skimmed lots of pages, concentrating on conjugation of Qatal vs.
Yiqtol. It looks as if the book is more a survey of previous students’
theories, instead of a grammar per se. As such, I don’t think it would be
accurate to say that this book is a workbook. Rather, it seems to be more
like a PhD dissertation.

Because my conclusions have been said to be similar to those of Diethelm
Michel, I read the description of Diethelm Mishel’s theories with interest,
only to find that his theories are only superficially similar to my
findings.

Like Todd, I don’t think the work book has been written yet.

The first requirement of a good workbook is that it be accurate. I don’t
think a single one on the market is accurate. I think the fault of all on
the market now is that they are more based on theory than observation.
Observation is fuzzy, hence messy: theory is clean but inaccurate.

Karl W. Randolph.