b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cliff Anderson" <cliffandy9 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'James Spinti'" <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:50:45 -0700

Hi George,

Instead of looking for a single book on intermediate Hebrew syntax (or
wishing it into existence), consider a second-year Hebrew class and what its
texts may be. Because in it syntax is going to be researched via larger
segments of text and through more modern studies of genre and
linguistics/semantics. Books to consider (and I'll mention only books that
I've read myself):

James Kugel, The Idea of Biblical Poetry: Parallelism and Its History.
James Kugel, How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now.
Meir Sternberg, The Poetics of Biblical Narrative
Robert Alter, The Art of Biblical Poetic/Narrative (2 books).

Then, as the teacher/student, it's up to you to take the English trans. of
these works, plug them back into the Hebrew and analyze what
syntactic/syntagmatic relationships the author(s) is generating from the
text and all its parts.

As well, consider the Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics series. The ones
I'm familiar with are:

Syntax: Structure, Meaning, and Function
Discourse Analysis
Syntax
Historical Linguistics
Introduction to the Grammar of English

Of course, these aren't designed for Hebrew but they're great for fine
tuning one's own understanding of doing language studies.

Cliff Anderson

various workbooks that take you through Hebrew syntax. I'd particularly like
to hear from instructors who have experience in this. I'm especially
interested in stand-alone workbooks that cover syntax basics without a
beginner's grammar at the front. In other words, I'm mainly interested in
intermediate books. However, any comments you have or recommendations would
be greatly appreciated.