b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YHB - gone with the wind or flushed with the water?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YHB - gone with the wind or flushed with the water?
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 05:12:18 -0200

Para: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Data: Sat, 5 May 2012 23:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
Assunto: [b-hebrew] YHB

> Although my Arabic dictionary does not have yehab, the root HB has these
> related meanings: get in motion, start moving, depart, set out, approach,
> attack, tackle, embark,
> begin, start doing something, rush / fly , rise, get up, revolt, rebel,
blow, > rage (storm), waft, drift; (related nouns >) gust, breeze, strong
wind, gale.

at least in hebrew i see no basis for the above statement. can you elaborate
on your basis for these meanings in arabic?

below i suggest an etymology for YHB which to me looks much more natural than
the one you suggest, at least in the hebrew context.

---------------------

the meanings for YHB suggested by isaac ("body") and bar bar hannah ("cargo",
if i understood him well) seem so much remote from the biblical context of
HShLK YHBK, which admits a much simpler etymological analysis, as well as
from the other meanings you suggest from dictionary.

------------

the hebrew evidence all points in one direction:

(Y)HB (verb) = give, bring, entrust an object in the hands of somebody.
lend/hand over/pass over an object. by extension: allow, let, lend one's
attention ("lend me your ears!") etc, also: give one's trust, entrust ones
life with.

HB/HBH/HBW = the imperative form

from which we have YHB (noun): trust, hope, fate.

it is textually clear that the biblical phrase HShLK YHBK urges one to put
ones FAITH/TRUST/FATE in the HANDS of god. not THROW at him ones body, rage or
wind. the relation between the aramaic root YHB=give, hebrew imperative
HBH/HB="let us, give us" and hebrew YHB=trust/"cherished possession one
entrusts in the hands of..." seems to me so much more relevant and natural. as
well as indirect evidence from the hebrew root HB)="bring" and B)="come".

--------

similar extensions of meaning exist also in indo-european.

i mention that in english "give"=hand over=YHB is close in meaning to
"let/lend/loan", where "let" is the translation of hebrew "HB/HBH.

also english "provide" (material) and "providence" (spiritual).

perhaps a somewhat similar latin (portuguese/spanish) analogue would be
prestar (=provide, put forward) and emprestar (=borrow or lend).

hebrew HBH/HBW echoes in the russian DAVAY=give.

nir cohen