b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PQH vs PTCh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PQH vs PTCh
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:08:02 -0700

George and Uri are both correct concerning the Ayin, as can be seen on
numerous pre-Exile Hebrew inscriptions, bullae and so forth.

As for the Peh, however, it originally was drawn as a mouth, with distinct
corners. Later writers got lazier, tilted the mouth sideways and left the
bottom unfinished, so that the closest we see from modern examples is that
it somewhat resembled the sofit Peh of the Aramaic square characters. It
was a two stroke letter, not a simple curve in Hebrew. This form is not far
from what became the Greek Pi when they took it into their alphabet.

Karl W. Randolph.