b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:06:52 +0000

Logically, they would go up in order to get the wood. However, syntactically,
this is not a purpose clause. If you only use verb forms to indicate purpose
— that is, though any specific auxiliaries like למען, then you would normally
express it by a simple we-Yiqtol, not a weqatal.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia